Modern homeowners are all about utilizing their living space to match their lifestyles. Gone are the days of a formal living room and dining room. Most families eat in their kitchen, hang out in their family room and re-purpose extra space to suit their needs. Many crafty homeowners desire a dedicated spot in their home where they can organize all of their crafting and gift-wrapping materials. If you’re pining for a crafting and/or gift wrapping room, space or nook, Dallas Custom Closets can make that a reality!
Step 1: Decide where your station will be.
In terms of the real estate market, larger homes that have a dedicated wrapping and crafting room are garnering higher sales prices because more and more prospective home buyers love to craft and entertain. If you’re able to dedicate an entire room to gift wrapping and crafts, we say go for it! Another option in larger homes with additional buildings on the property is to design a ‘she-shed,’ which could combine your love of crafting and gift wrapping along with some of your other hobbies to create a getaway merely steps away from your back door.
Those without space for a dedicated craft room may have to get creative about their gift wrapping solution. An open wall in an office or bedroom will do just fine. A spare closet is an excellent solution as well. The key is to keep your gift wrapping space free of other items and obligations. You want your area to be ready for you when you need it without having to clear away bills and paperwork.
Step 2: Measure and plan.
Before you start buying rolling carts and plastic drawers to oblivion, carefully plan and consider your space. It’s a good idea to enlist the help of professionals to ensure that your final space will match up with your vision. Dallas Custom Closets can help you get the most out of your wrapping station. We will personalize a layout to your needs and demonstrate your perfect wrapping sanctuary with our 3D design software. You will be able to actually visualize yourself happily immersed in your crafting/wrapping space.
Every gift wrapping space has a few must-haves:
- A table where you can stand or sit with a stool is a definite must. If you are short on space, you can incorporate a table that folds up to stand against the wall murphy-bed style and acts as a cover for your wrapping station when not in use.
- A rack for wrapping paper. Keep in mind that rolls of wrapping paper come in different sizes. Some rolls are extra tall for oversized gifts, and some are extra-wide and heavy duty. Make sure your roll storage can support a variety of different sizes.
- Drawers for flat items like gift bags and tissue paper. Clear drawers work great so you don’t have to go rifling through all the drawers looking for what you want. With solid drawers you can apply decorative, reusable chalkboard labels to organize what is stored inside.
- Drawer separators for small items like tags, tape, scissors, and pens.
- An organizer for greeting cards with dividers for different occasions.
- A rod for housing ribbon so it doesn’t become a tangled mess in a drawer. With ribbon on a rod, you can easily pull from it and wind it back up when finished.
Step 3: Stock the shelves
It’s time to outfit your space with the essentials:
- Gift wrap rolls
- Tissue paper
- Gift bags
- Greeting cards
- Pens and markers
Gift giving should be a joyous experience. There’s no reason that gift wrapping shouldn’t be just as enjoyable. You will be amazed at how your gift wrapping room will make all of your occasions truly special.